With Babbel anyone can learn a language.
Founded in 2007, Babbel is the world’s top-grossing and most effective language-learning app. No small feat, and no small challenge. In a moment rife with talk of walls, we’re building bridges — making the language-learning journey as exciting and empowering as possible, helping people forge new connections and participate in worlds bigger than their own. We do things that matter. And foremost, we make people speak their new language as they’ve always wanted to. Come work with us.
There’s still so much to do.
Babbel is for everyone, not some niche or elite strata of learners. Everyone. As our user base has grown, so has what they need from us. Their learning needs, life experiences, and reference points become more varied and colorful by the day. Meeting that means ensuring users see themselves reflected —not just in our product— but the world it allows them to imagine with us. That means reflecting the dynamism and diversity of our users, as much as possible, in the production of Babbel. We currently have 600 people from more than 50 nationalities working in our Berlin and New York offices, challenging and learning from each other at every step. A culture of difference and dignity is critical to how we’ve connected with millions of users, in every hemisphere.
We are looking for a VP People for Babbel in Berlin!
Your mission as a VP People will be to help bringing the Babbel Team to the next level. Drive culture- and organisational development. You direct and oversee the company’s HR plans in ways that support our mission and overall strategy.
- Scale the organization up to 1000 people and beyond
- Solidify our culture of participation and diversity while ensuring execution efficacy
- Lead the People Operations, L&D and Recruitment function
- Coach & develop each direct reports (each leading teams of their own)
- Evolve the goal oriented performance & development system
- Be the champion for our organisational development & implement initiatives
- Further evolution of our compensation & benefits scheme
- Ensure that HR processes are designed and executed flawlessly
- Challenge our culture & organisation and be a part shaping it
- Participate in leadership initiatives and act as a trusted partner for all departments
- Ensure that a successful talent acquisition strategy across Babbel is in place
- Reporting directly to the CEO
- 8+ years of experience in leading high-performance HR teams focused on the organization’s evolving needs and leading an organization through change
- Proven track record in building and scaling companies from 500 to 1000 people and beyond
- Experience with agile culture and participatory management
- Strategic mind with deep skills in organizational development and design
- You have lead managers before and directly managed teams of 20+ people
- Positive problem solver with outstanding communication skills
- Full fluency in spoken and written English. Language learning passion is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal & leadership skills and strategic thinking
- An open-minded, positive, enthusiastic, inspiring, result-oriented person with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Coaching skills are a plus
- Team player with an start-up attitude, hands-on mentality, high motivation and willingness to learn
- Work in a truly purpose-driven business
- Have a highly visible leadership role with a strategic scope
- A steep learning-curve – personally and professionally
- Be part of a very diverse and international team in the heart of Berlin
- An agile challenging environment and a culture of experimentation
- Being part of helping millions of people to learn languages
- Great company benefits. (Flexible hours, Sabbatical, company bike, fresh fruits & drinks, etc.)
- Start-up mentality and attractive working environment in the heart of Berlin